Monday, March 25, 2013

Early Easter thoughts

I was stressing last night about how I thought I had a great new-to-me angle on the Luke Easter account, but then I discovered it was the exact angle I had three years ago. I posted on the RevGals Facebook page that I'm not tall afraid of a repreach or a tweak, but it is still early in the week to go down that road in my planning.

Then this morning, fresh off the treadmill and heading toward the shower, I had a new thought. I'm thinking about how different people in the Like account received The good news of the resurrection. The women were caught off guard, terrified, humbled, and eventually empowered. Most of the 11 were dismissive, but then Peter has a need to see for himself. On Easter Sunday, when we have ALL SORTS of different people in worship all over the spectrum of faith, we have some of each of these even in our midst. The good news is that the promise of the resurrection doesn't depend on how we receive it or how much we believe it or how we've reconciled it with our knowledge or logic or even our faith. God doesn't wait for us to believe to raise Jesus from the dead. God raises Jesus to new life first then invites us into the journey of faith to see what that new life is all about. Dang.

Promises and Invitations

2 comments:

Teri said...

I like it! in fact, I might go there too. :-)

Common Household Mom said...

I'm not a preacher; just one of the flock (a flock-member?). But I wanted to chime in and say that I find it helpful to stop and consider how Jesus' immediate 'flock' reacted to the resurrection. When we read the Easter story, as when we read any other Bible story, because we read the words in just a few minutes, we sort of imagine that it took only a few minutes for things to happen: They saw the empty tomb, and POOF! they believed in the resurrection. I was astonished one Easter when my pastor pointed out that the disciples probably spent quite a lot of time really trying to figure out what had happened. Maybe it's a little like getting accepted at the college you really wanted to go to - it's a fact, but you have to go over it again and again because it doesn't seem quite real. It made me feel more at home with my own pondering of the resurrection, which is truly an astounding event.