Saturday, February 2, 2013

Accidental Success

My running partner and I have settled on our training program.  I've been trying to find just the right program (app) that will help me get from my (mental and physical) couch to running the half marathon.  I mean running the whole thing.  Without taking walk breaks.  So many of the training programs for half marathons that I see base each training session on mileage.  Run 3 miles this day, 2 the next, and 4, 6, , or 8 for a long run.  Seeing those mileages has always terrified me because I feel like I can't even run 3 miles without walking.

But then this week after doing another interval work out (run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute) for about 46 minutes, I think, I went 3.92 miles on the treadmill.  (Don't worry, I did another 44 seconds to get the even 4 miles.  On top of that I could still walk and talk at the end of it.  Well, hello!!!! My dream pace for the half marathon would be 11:00 min/miles.  I just did 4 miles at an 11:41 min/mile pace without intending to get there.

We scrapped the interval training programs and went to the mileage based one.  In fact that 4 mile run on the plan should have been a 3 mile run.  The next day's 2 mile recovery run was a breeze.  I ran about 90% of it.  Today I did 4 miles, which was on the schedule this time, at a minute slower than my dream pace (like my "virtual coach" said).  In about 48 minutes, I think I walked 7 or 8 of them, pieced together here and there, not even a full 5 minute warm up.

Next week are all 2 or 3 mile runs so I'll try to do at least the 2s without walking, but even if I do, who cares???  I'm doing it!

I've increased my training days from 3 days a week to 4 days.  I think that will just help me feel more confident and a stronger runner.  It also REALLY makes me appreciate my days off.  It also makes it harder to skip some days for some reason.  It's all a mental game for me.

My weight hasn't gone anywhere good, but at least it hasn't gotten worse.  I've been eating pretty badly.  I've got to get that back under control.  I'll have 3 or 4 days that are good, then blow it completely for 3 days.  Weekends are the worst.  I eat way worse at home than I do when I'm being more scheduled and thoughtful about it on work days.

Since my running isn't bad this week, maybe I'll make that a better focus - - well, after the Super Bowl party!

No comments: