Friday, May 4, 2012

Friday Five: Birthday Edition

Kathryn gives us this Friday Five at RevGals.
There's a birthday for an adult member of my family today. I will admit, I'm not very good at celebrating birthdays. Sadly, the adults in my life have suffered from this affliction. I do manage to rally for my son (now age 7). 

I could bore you with my own personal history of birthday laments which may have led to this attitude... but I won't (you're welcome). Instead I'd love to hear your birthday memories. 
1) What is the first birthday you remember? 
2) Do you recall a favorite gift? 
3) Has anyone ever tried to surprise you for your birthday? Did it work? Was it fun? 
4) Do you have a favorite birthday dessert? 
5) Describe what would be your 'perfect birthday'.

Here's my play!

1) I don't remember how old I was, but maybe 4 or 5 just based on the people in the room. All I remember is taking one bite of Baskin-Robbins rainbow ice cream cake and the icing was GROSS, crunchy, crystally, sugary, bitter, GROSS. 

2) I remember how excited I was to get a Cabbage Patch preemie doll when I was turning 8 or 9. 

3) I've never had a surprise party for me, but I sort of wish I would. It's funny, because I'm really a pretty low-key birthday person. I'm not annoyed by them nor do I ignore them. I'm just sort of a planning Scrooge. I think it would be pretty cool, though, if someone would go to all that effort to pull my friends together for a fun, carefree party! 

4) Pretty simple. Cake. I like to make it myself, but I have a new favorite PHENOMENAL local bakery from which I'm perfectly happy ordering my own. My birthday gives me an excuse to order one of their cakes because I make cake for all the other birthdays in our house. 

5) I have a January birthday, and I live in the tundra. I think a pretty cool birthday would be a surprise vacation south! (So much for low-key, right? Maybe I'm low-key about birthdays because I live with someone low-key about birthdays. A nice night out for dinner certainly wouldn't make me sad.)

8 comments:

river song said...

what a fun play and how devastating about the gross frosting! Making your own cake is not a bad idea at all... thanks for playing!

btw, your link on the RevGals didn't work so I got here through your profile; you might want to repost.

Stephanie Anthony/She Rev said...

Thanks for commenting and for pointing out the link issue. I'll try again!

river song said...

the new one works!!!

Joolie said...

great play, and I love your dream of a vacation south for your winter birthday. I would not mind a vacation north for my summer one.

Purple said...

Maybe the awesome cake bake place delivers...1200 plus miles???

A revgal can dream...right?

Stephanie Anthony/She Rev said...

A revgal can dream.

Thanks for stopping by, friends!

1-4 Grace said...

I say you should pick a day and order a cake for you, not on your bday.

kathrynzj said...

Yes, a little time away and together would be a great birthday. That BR cake looks horrific, by the way. The way to go is definitely Carvel.