Sunday, May 29, 2011

NaBloPoMo: Maybe, Day 29

I'm not sure if I should have tried to work with the Memorial Day theme in worship after all. I did NOT go all nationalistic on us at all. That is not me, but I did use the idea of memorials as my jumping off point. I thought it was a good idea. I don't think it was a bad idea. Maybe, though, it was just...meh. We did have some good participation in the pipe cleaner memorial activity which was kind of fun. I had people think of a time when they were clearly aware of God's love and presence in their lives and then make a 1 pipe cleaner memorial of that time, something that could help them tell that story. With the folks who like that kind of interaction in worship, it went really well. I want to get us talking more about our personal experiences of faith. We need to talk to one another about these experiences if we can even dream about talking to other people about them. Maybe I'll work with this theme of "story telling" on and off throughout the summer to see where it goes.

I'm so behind at getting my sermons posted. This week makes 3 that AREN'T up yet here or on the church blog. It hasn't been intentional; I've just gotten busy. Maybe tomorrow I'll get caught up if the kiddos take naps. I think I'll also include the funeral sermon from Saturday since I got a LOT of good feedback about that one. One out of two in a weekend isn't bad!

1 comment:

Common Household Mom said...

A pipe cleaner memorial - I love it! In the future I will be looking for a way to include pipe cleaner art in my church's adult ed class.

Memorial Day weekend is probably one of those times when pastors must walk the fine line between being patriotic and not adequately addressing the secular holiday at hand. My church was host to the local VFW at our service, so there was no avoiding the topic. Our pastor handled it well, I thought.