Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Shadow Games

On Sunday when we were leaving church K was walking in front of me, a little too close in front of me. She has this habit, and it's sort of cute and sort of annoying. I try to remember it's cute when I'm feeling mostly annoyed by it. It's like she wants to be independent and walk not right next to me, but at the same time there's some kind of tether that pulls her to walk right in front of me because she also doesn't want to get too far. She ends up walking right in front of me, criss-crossing across my path really just about 3/4 of a step in front of me. See the annoying part?

Well, she was doing it this Sunday as we were walking across the parking lot of the church to our car, but not only was she walking annoying closely in front of me, she was also bopping her head up and down, starting and stopping, and generally just driving me nuts with it. With the baby in my arms and trying simply not to fall over her, the cute part had definitely left a while ago.

I begged her to stop and just walk when she told me, "But we have two heads! I'm trying to hide my head in yours."

Uhh.....? Come again?

She pointed to the pavement. "We have two heads!"

Our shadows! She was looking at our shadows and trying to hide her smaller shadow inside my larger shadow so you could only see one on the pavement.


I thought of this incident immediately when I read the Easter epistle. Here are the last two verses of that lesson, Colossians 3:1-4:

"3 for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory."

My Good Friday sermon is going to be about our Jesus DIDN'T save himself. He didn't come down off the cross when he was tempted to. He didn't use some superhero powers to skip the hardest part of human life. He joined himself to us by going through what we go through, even to the point of death on a cross.

I think my Easter sermon will be the flip side of that Good Friday sermon. Sort of Paul's word to the Romans, but using the Colossians hiding images - "If we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his." (Romans 6:5) We hide ourselves in Christ by participating in resurrection actions, by living resurrection lives, not just forgiven and blessed and graced for ourselves, but hiding our actions in the resurrections actions of the Triune God, actions that bring death to life - - rebuilding what has been destroyed, planting what has been trampled, calling those who have been scattered back to God (Jeremiah 31:1-6).

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like you're on a good track! I am hoping to get inspiration for my Easter sermons sometime throughout today!

I also can completely sympathize with what your daughter is doing...although in this case it ended up as a wonderful illustration, the everyday walking habits of a preschooler can be quite trying!

My four-year-old son has a habit of trying to go through doorways with me at exactly the same time, so that either both of us get jostled into the door jamb, or I have to pause and let him go first. I hardly ever go first! Every now and then, it becomes a pet peeve of the day!

Stephanie Anthony/She Rev said...

Oh my gosh. I know that doorway game, too. If all the kids have a book on how to be kids, why don't parents get a book on how to be parents?

Carolyn said...

The shadows are indeed cool! But, what really caught my attention was your reference on revgalpals to an Easter story accompanied by children with drums. Would you be willing to share it? Since I am too new to communicating in blogs, this is the first way I could find to ask you.