Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday Five: Spiritual disciplines

Long story short, Mary Beth and RGBP asked about 5 spiritual disciplines we have (or have tried). Just thinking about it is making me feel completely inadequate. I'll at least start with the positive.

1. In junior high and high school I was MAD about devotional books, the kind with a little section to read every day, a Bible passage, and some questions for reflection. I LOVED them and used them, ha ha, religiously. I have many of them still around our house because I wrote notes in many of them. Others I used my journal for recording my thoughts.

2. My journal. It's the second most positive. I don't know if it counts as a spiritual discipline. I often say it is, but truthfully I don't know if I'm just telling myself that to make myself feel better about my LACK of discipline or if it really is. It's a place of reflection and processing of the day, but there is rarely anything intentional spiritual about it. I don't put "Dear God" at the beginning and "Amen" at the end, but it is sort of letter- or prayer-like. I'm not sure. I can't fall asleep without writing even if (and often now that there are 3 kiddos in my life) it is something very short and sweet. So maybe, maybe not.

3. This year's Lenten discipline - - writing my prayers. I like the book, but as usual I haven't been very disciplined about it. I started out strong. I thought I'd do some here on the blog and some in my journal, but it was all in my journal in the end. I should be at like day 12 or 14 or something, right? I'm on day 8, I think. I like the idea; it's the timing that isn't working for me, right before bed. However, I haven't found another time that would work better. I should choose to stop and pray before watching TV instead of trying to squeeze it in after, but I haven't yet. Maybe tonight. (Pathetic)

4. I'm really trying to think of something else that's positive, but it's just not coming. Another failed attempt that bothers me more than my own failed attempts is keeping up a spiritual discipline with my kids. We had a great night time routine for reading, singing, praying, but that all sort of slipped away when LadyPrincess and Godzilla moved into the same room last year and got bunkbeds. We don't have the same sort of cuddle time that leads to that routine. We still read , but it's much less relaxing and cute with two wiggly (possibly bickering) ones than it was when we divided and conquered and each parent took care of one kid for bedtime. At least we've picked back up with the mealtime prayers that had sort of gone out the window a few months ago. That's better than nothing, but it's not really where I'd like to be.

5. How 'bout for the last one I stop mourning what I've NOT done and just go for a recommitment to my Lenten discipline. It's horible to say, but the time is so difficult to carve out even when I do believe it's important. What is with that? I think another spiritual discipline I have wanted, but I have not kept up in the way I would like is this blog. I'd like to engage more with the RGBP community. I want to read other people's writing more and contribute more to the material there is to read. I want to connect in a spiritual and personal way with folks, and that means making the time to do it. I crave the kind of community and friendship I see others in the ring have, but that I know I don't prioritize even though I want it. One silly problem I have is keeping track of everyone's names. I don't know who is who, but maybe that will sort itself out as I get more engaged and better about reading around.

Whew.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I had forgotten how much I used to love the same kind of devotional books when I was younger (and still have most of mine because of the notes in them, too!)

I also wish for more feeling of "community" as a part of RGBP, so know that I'm happy to join you on this journey!

Love and Blessings!

oneofgrace said...

Thanks for sharing. I can understand the frustration at not finishing all that you set out to do. My advice is don't focus on what you haven't done (I'd go crazy if I did) and refocus your energy on living into a new day. Every day is a new day, a new opportunity!

angela said...

I think the devotionals are really a help to quick disciplines sometimes b/c they are ready made. I've got the one from church and each 3 month period I wish I'd go back through and re-read the corners I'd folded down and reflect on them or write. MMmm. But mothering is busy.

Don't be too hard on yourself about not keeping up a routine. Somehow I think we get inured to the God relation when we just plod through the routine(especially with kids). Those teachable moments will come up with them...I hope.