Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ewww, John! That's gross!

People in the church often ask me how I choose the Scripture I'm going write a sermon about each week. Always wordier than I need to be, I go into a little explanation of the lectionary then talk about how I consider what's going on in the lives of the folks in our congregation, the life of our congregation as a whole, and life in the world around us. Blah blah blah, add some prayer, and I've got a sermon text.

This week the process is much simpler and much less spiritual. Spit. EW! I have an almost pathological aversion to saliva. As a kid (and by kid I even mean teenager) I would even avoid brushing my teeth as a long as I could to avoid the whole spit thing. It makes my tummy churn even now just typing about it.

So, John, great story, and I'm sure there's plenty to learn about within and from it, but I just can't do it. I can't read it aloud or listen to it being read. I can't write a sermon when that might be a part of what I have to say. I can't.

Samuel? Here I come!!!

No comments: