Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday Five: Family Trees

Sophia posted this Friday Five at the RevGals. I haven't played in too long, but this one I want in on! We're getting super close to adding a new leaf to the tree, so it seems so timely.

1. Do you have any interest in geneaology?
I have a real interest, but I don't have the time at all to dedicate to that interest. (Or the organizational skills or the drive to do what it takes)

2. Which countries did your ancestors come from?
I really only know about my mom's sides of the family, and they are pretty much straight Scottish/Scotch-Irish.

3. Who is the farthest back ancestor whose name you know?
On my mom's side I have a family tree that goes back to the first immigrants to the US, central PA (Lancaster County - - they beat the German/Amish there), in the late 1600's. I'm momentarily blanking on the father who brought his two sons, but the son from which my family comes, who was the first to have his family born on this continent, is Thomas. It's the name we have picked out if this baby is a boy.

4. Any favorite saints or sinners in the group?
I don't know many stories at all that are beyond the relatives I have actually known in my lifetime, but my grandmother is a favorite saint and sinner. She was a complex, but very strong woman, an alcoholic with various mental health issues at play, too. When she discovered her husband was not only having an affair, but having an affair with a 16 year old (they're oldest child, my mother, was 17 or 18 at the time) whom he got pregnant at the same time as her, she took the young woman into her care when the girl's own parents kicked her out of the house. Their babies were born within weeks of each other. My grandparents were divorced soon after, but I admire the heck out of her for that sort of compassion. If this baby is a girl, she will be named Margaret, the name of many of my grandmother's maternal ancestors.

5. What would you want your descendants to remember about you?
I don't know. I hope I've got a good funny story that can be told and embellished and relished over and over and over. I hope they remember me as strong and joyful and fun. My standards aren't too high!

Bonus: a song, prayer, or poem that speaks of family--blood or chosen--to you.
Like for many, this is a favorite song in our family. My grandmother, the one mentioned above taught it to all the grandkids she could before she died. My sister and I (the oldest of the grandkids) made sure we taught it to the ones born later. Our mom now sings it to our kids.

No comments: