Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Truth about God

Psalm 51:6 "For behold, you look for truth deep within me, and will make me understand wisdom secretly."

What I know about God:
God cares.
God loves.
God accompanies - now, back then, and tomorrow.
God listens.
God speaks.
God challenges.
God doesn't take the easy road and rarely leads me that way either.
God purifies.
God forgives.
God takes what I can't handle when I bother to give it away.
God calls.
God changes.
God responds.
God cries.
God is in it for the long haul - all in.
God believes.
God holds herself back, but loves without restraint.
God knows.
God leads.
God redeems.
God transforms.

It's interesting. This morning in my sermon I poked a little fun at the seemingly ridiculous nature of the lists of adjectives in the Westminster Catechism, as if a list can do anything to paint a helpful picture. When challenged to write what I "know in my bones" a simple list is what comes. Anything more complex would be a major work of mental theology. One difference between what Westminster does and what came naturally to me is that Westminster uses adjectives, and mine is based in verbs. What I know for sure, what I know is real is not "about" God; it's what I have experienced God doing.

Thank you, God, for being a doing God. Thank you for your activity, your living, your relationship with me. May I live in your truth, O God. Amen.

No comments: