Friday, February 26, 2010

A Little "Me" Time

Romans 12:2 "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God - what is good and acceptable and perfect."

You want to know one of my pet peeves? It's the marketing strategy that tries to convince people or give them permission that "you deserve this over-indulgence." Really marketing world? We deserve this? We who overeat, underexercise, spend gobs of hours in front of a TV, at the movies, shopping to fill our overfull closets, etc etc.... We "deserve" whatever it is you are trying to sell that will make us more beautiful, more rested, more special, more popular, more wealthy, more pampered? I do not claim to be immune to this kind of advertising whatsoever. I enjoy a fit of overindulgence as much if not more than the next person. It just bothers me when I think about it, maybe because I do find myself attracted by the temptation of that thinking. What in the world or my life would make me deserve any of the grace or blessings I receive more than anyone else? I know the answer is nothing, but the pitch they sell sounds so good. Why would I deserve any of those things any more than someone who works harder (and there are plenty in my field and others who do), whose body is challenged more than mine, whose life has been run over with more tragedy? I don't, and it drives me crazy that I am tempted by the suggestion that I do.

Prayer: God in Community, Three in One, While solitude can certainly be a good thing, help me to see that I am not an island. I am not one person more deserving than any other of the blessings I receive or the opportunities that are presented. Help me, O God, to discern what is good and acceptable and perfect for both the renewing of my mind and spirit and your call to be a disciples of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: