Wednesday, February 24, 2010

High Thoughts

Isaiah 55:9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

As a pastor, when people (churched or not) find out that I majored in biology in college they often look at me a little funny. "Well, what happened?" is often the follow-up question. It's sort of funny that in college, in the biology department, when they found out I was going to seminary instead of a microbiology PhD program, I got a similar question from that "side" of the issues.

The thing is, to me, they have never been sides on opposite ends of any debate. For me they have always been two fields asking different questions about the topic - creation. Granted, each of them has interest in questions that go beyond that basic topic, but ultimately they are both endeavors to understand the world and condition we live in a little bit better. Why do they always have to be placed at odds with one another?

Monday I wrote about some, uh, differences of opinion over the issue of evolution. It never occured to me as a person of faith that evolution couldn't be a part of my understanding of creation. Never. Granted, I have never felt tied to literal readings of Scripture, so I don't have that struggle with which to contend. But when I hear people say that the idea is too complex and the "simple word of Scripture" tells us all that happened I just don't get it. "My ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts are higher than your thoughts." The deeper I went into science and the complexities of nature the MORE I saw the work of an intelligent and incredibly creative God. A process that started at next to nothing and developed over billions of years to what it is now is WAY more awe-inspiring and divine looking to me than a quick "ZAP" there it is.

Science may work to try to figure it all out, but science never will. There will always be another question, another unknown because the hand and work of God is beyond our comprehension, but not because the two are incompatible. Science asks "How?" Religion and faith ask "Why?" The two have no need to compete.

Prayer: Keep me from haughtiness and pride, O Lord. Amen.

No comments: