Friday, January 8, 2010

Friday Five: Dreams

Sophia gave us this Friday Five over at Rev Gals. Having plenty of pregnancy kooky dreams, I thought I'd play. Although most of my kooky dreams are unbloggable. Even anonymously.

So let's take a few minutes on this (where I am at least) lovely snow-blanketed Friday morning and share about the many different dreams and visions in our lives.

1. Do you tend to daydream?
Tend? Are you kidding? How do you NOT daydream?

2. Do you usually remember your night dreams? Do you find them symbolic and meaningful or just quirky?
I remember many of my night dreams. Not all of them, but quite a few. Mostly they are just quirky although some from my childhood that I can still remember with great detail were very obviously the result of the stress I was feeling from the divorces and remarriages of my parents. I have had a few different recurring dreams, or I should say "had." They were all in those early years (ages 5-15ish) dealing with those same subjects. One had a mean man dressed up in a chicken suit. He did not correlate to my father or step-father for those trying to guess.

3. Have you ever had a life changing dream which you'll never forget?
Not in a positive way, and maybe not completely LIFE CHANGING, but those recurring ones would have been helpful for any of my therapists in that timeframe to hear. It never occurred to me to tell any of them, and it never occurred to any of them to ask. They shoulda. Even my amateur analyses 15-25 years later knows it would have saved us a lot of time and effort if they had.

4. Share a long term dream for one or more aspects of your life and work.
I don't know if it's as strong as it once was, but years ago I put on my "List of things to do before I die" (started in 8th grade, long before "Bucket List" was a shorter and catcher term for this) that I want to be the Stated Clerk of the PC(USA). I still would LOVE that position, but I don't know anymore if I care enough to do the work that is likely necessary to get to it someday.

5. Share a dream for 2010....How can we support you in prayer on both the short and long term dreams?
One dream is to increase the amount of sleep I get on Saturday nights! I know it will be hard to change my creative process, but I am really getting worried about writing sermons when I come back from maternity leave with a nursing baby who will still be waking up several times a night. I haven't had to preach weekly with that little of a little one before. Sort of nervous about how that's going to go. Also, later pregnancy this spring when sleep will be more precious. I have always had a hard time doing work of any importance during daylight hours. I waste a lot of time playing during the day because I am just more productive in the night. That's been fine for me for the last 15 years or so, but it's not just me and hasn't beeen for a little while. Making the jump from a family of 4 to 5, though, is driving me to try to make this change this year. I covet hearing about others' creative processes that are either spread out over the week or condensed into one (non-Saturday night/Sunday morning) writing period. Also helpful would be hearing about others' organization of ministry tasks during the week that help make sermon writing possible during the "work" hours. I am trying to reorganize what I do, learn to use my new (much more efficient) secretary, and reduce the amount of time I spend on tasks that others can and should do so that I can use my designated "work" hours for all of my work - - including writing my sermons. At this point I put in my 9-5 hours during the work week, but then also spend my writing time at home.

That was a long, not so inspirational answer, but it's my hope and dream this year - that I can continue to find ways to make my ministry and family calling meld better and better! Hey, I'll take prayers and ideas anyway I can!


Bonus: a poem, song, artwork, etc. that deals with dreams in general or one of your dreams.
Probably my favorite "dream" song would be the Les Mis song "I Dreamed a Dream." I couldn't go with Susan Boyle's singing for this, but found one I don't remember because I wasn't aware of the song at the time.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

I returned from maternity leave twice while nursing and leading a congregation and thus doing most of the preaching. Since my older son didn't sleep through the night until he was about 18 mos, I spent a lot of time with not enough sleep and can sympathize with your worries.

I, too, am a Saturday sermonizer, and I seem to need the pressure of bedtime approaching. A couple of things helped me. One was trying to get a slightly better night's sleep on Friday night; that gave me a little reserve. Another was mentally shifting my bedtime deadline an hour earlier or so: "Tomorrow is Sunday, so I have to be in bed by 9:30 if I want to have any hope of functioning." That tended to get me into bed by 10:30 rather than 11:30! Finally--and sad to admit but true-- I nursed my sons between the two services; that private time gave me a brief chance to tune up the sermon if I hadn't gotten it quite right at the early service :-o

Most of all, though, I worked on my concept of situational best, the best I can do **under the circumstances,** which some weeks wasn't so fabulous. I had to believe that was acceptable to God and the congregation, or I would've gone nuts.

No advice here on how to change your patterns, just how to live with them. It really will all work out!

She Rev said...

Thanks Betsy! I had a similar conversation this week with a coach I'm working with for a few months. I mentioned wanting to change my pattern and she talked about how those first few months (at least) my preaching would just be different - a little lighter, a little more personal, a little different - and that was just the way it was going to be. It was particularly hard for me to hear that it might be a "little lighter" for some reason. I'm pretty hard on myself and don't want to give less than I know I can, so "lighter" somehow sounds less. The best I can do now at this time sounds a little easier to swallow, but will still be hard.