Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Traditions Friday Five

Jan gave us this Friday Five at RevGals. The gist of it is:

"So for this Friday Five, tell us five things about the traditions in your family. Think of

traditions you always do
traditions you always cook or eat
traditions you would like to start
traditions you would like to discard
anything about your family Christmases"

Ahhh...I've been doing a lot of thinking about traditions since this is actually the first Christmas my husband and I are in charge of. It's just going to be us and the two kids, no other extended family. I'm a little nervous about what from our families we're going to make ours, and what we're going to invent for ourselves. I just finished making our family stockings tonight, so I won't miss the opportunity to share them here!

Up until now when we're with my family we do my family's traditions, when we're with his we do his family's traditions with just one exception. No matter where we have been my mom has always sent me my traditional Christmas Eve jammies. That will be #1, so let the list begin.

1. Christmas Eve jammies - - For as long as I can remember my sister and I have always been allowed to open one present on Christmas Eve. It's always pajamas. I'm almost 33 years old, and my mom still sends me my Christmas Even jammies wherever I am. I'm a little nervous this year because there wasn't a Christmas Eve present in the box she sent this year. I did get word from a colleague that another box from Florida showed up at church today, so I'm still hanging on to a little hope that my jammies are in there. I've passed this one and and get my kids Christmas Eve jammies, too. I've even picked up my husband some pajama pants most years.

2. Growing up we always made Pillsbury orange rolls on Christmas morning. After the kids (my sister and I) finished the "Santa pile" we all took a break to eat orange rolls before conquering the family pile.

3. I think we'll toss this tradition. No offense to my mother, but my husband and I are a bit more into cooking and will probably find something a little more complex to throw in. I might do an egg bake. Love those. Not crazy difficult or anything, but a small step up from the tube of breakfast rolls, not that I don't love those darn things. Egg bake has way more protein which helps this pregnant momma through the day!

4. Growing up we also always went to a movie the afternoon of Christmas. I doubt we'll continue that one since it's way less tempting to get out of the house on a holiday when the temp is likely to hover near zero. I like it, though. It was our thing (and the Jewish families in town).

5. I think I'd like to continue my mom's cheese soup for dinner on Christmas. I NEVER at it as a kid, but finally tried it a few years ago and realize I was really missing out. I don't know if my kids will eat it, but we'll figure something out for them.

I made my own bonus. The song that ALWAYS got us singing as a kid while decorating the Christmas tree:

2 comments:

angela said...

Yum, I loved those orange frigerator buns too--and would feel guilty now for not making something fresh.

So what's the egg bake? Strata? Recipe or picture, please...

Blessings

She Rev said...

I'll have to find one of our recipes that I use, but basically a strata, yes. The ones I've done that are officially called "strata," though, have been higher maintenance. The easy ones are mostly just sausage, eggs, maybe onions and green peppers. Something else, too. I'll have to find a recipe and post!