Monday, August 31, 2009

Liturgical Two-fer

I'm pretty excited that this Sunday we are celebrating BOTH sacraments in the same service. In my former life we completely discouraged this, wouldn't allow it, in fact. The timing didn't work out because what then would we do about the sermon and how would it come together for the broadcast?

I feel so blessed to be freed from those kinds of contraints, and pretty excited to figure out what I'm going to do with worship this week. Yes, the preaching time will hve to be less, but, despite the usual length of my sermons, I do believe that sometimes less is more. It seems like a good time to address the connection and common threads of meaning shared by our two sacraments, but I also don't want it to be too teach-y. Maybe the connections can come in the liturgy instead of the word preached. Or maybe I can do two different sermonettes one at the font and one at the table. Hmmm...I'm leaning toward the liturgy so that I'm less tempted to say too much!

No comments: