Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Vote for God and Jesus (and the Holy Spirit)

I didn't have a chance to go vote in some of our local elections earlier today, so on our way home from dinner with my father-in-law, who is in town for a meeting, my husband dumped me at the door of the Methodist church that is our polling place about 15 minutes before they closed. When our almost 4 year old daughter (4D) realized we weren't heading toward our house she asked where we were going. I told her I needed to go vote so they were going to wait in the car for me to do that.

4D: What's vote mean?
Me: It's when I get to go choose who I want to be our leaders.
4D: God and Jesus are our leaders. You should choose them.
Me: Well, their names aren't going to be on the paper, so I'll have to choose other people.
4D: They are the real leaders, Mommy, you should get to choose them.
Me (sort of feeling caught and unsure of what to say, I choose to check her theology): What about the Holy Spirit? Isn't that a leader, too?
4D: HOLY SPIRIT?!?!? That's not a leader. Just God and Jesus.
(Ugh, we Presbyterians really have some work to do!)
Husband: Really? You're going to work on the Trinity at age 4?
Me: Well, she brought the other two up as our leaders. I might as well try to fix this Holy Spirit problem now!

After I came out from voting (and by the way the church was having a dress rehearsal for their Last Supper reenactment drama) - -
4D: Were they in there, Mom? Did you get to vote for God and Jesus?
Me (laughing because of the visions of the reenactment going through my head): Yeah, they were in there, but I didn't get to vote for them.
4D: Well, they are our leaders right? Even if you can't vote for them?
Me: Yep, we got them without even getting to choose. Even the Holy Spirit.

2 comments:

Martha Williams Jordan said...

What great insight from your daughter about God and Jesus being our leaders even if we don't chose them.

Thanks for the good chuckle too. As a pastor and mother, I have to cringe at what my girls say during children's moments in worship but I also rejoice that they are learning theology from an early age.

SingingOwl said...

:-) :-) :-)