Sunday, March 29, 2009

Thanks for preaching!

I don't know if it's just me, and I don't know if it's good, bad, or indifferent, but as soon as a sermon is done being written I can give names of a few who will definitely like it and who will avoid me after worship. I don't do this on purpose, and every sermon isn't the same person or people. But I can tell you as soon as it is written at least a few who will like it. There are surprises here and there, but the usuals are the usuals.

Again, I don't know if this is good, bad, or neither, but it's something I notice, and something I'm paying attention to. If for no other reason it helps me make sure I am open to a variety of styles and messages. Not necessarily to "keep everyone happy," but to be sure I'm preaching to the whole congregation. Interesting anyway.

2 comments:

Stushie said...

To me, preaching is meant to be proclamation of God's Word. Likeability doesn't come into it.

If we pay attention to what the Spirit is bidding us to preach, then that's all we need to do. I guess there's only one question we should ask: did God like it?

She Rev said...

I'm with you. I don't mean to write them for anyone in particular in the congregation to like them, but I can tell once the Spirit is done with me and I've hit print, "This one XXX will like."

I actually get more worried about when they DO like them because (like you've said) I think sermons aren't about being liked or not, they are about the Word of God. The preaching moment can be a moment of transformation. I've started to pay attention to who is liking week-to-week to see if I'm slipping into a preaching comfort zone, which I don't see as a good thing, I don't see as paying attention to the Spirit's bidding.

Thanks!