Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Maybe I'm on to something

OK - - I may have found my missing "Go! Do!"

I think the infant baptism piece about parents/church letting go is a mere stopping point, not the destination. I don't think I'll dwell with that the whole time, but move on talking about why it's hard to let them go. It's hard because we know what the world is like. We know what kind of wilderness is out there. We know the temptations. We know the trials. We know that following God and living into the ministry that has been prepared for us is not easy. We know that the ministry we are called to carry out isn't always the carpentry we've been learning for the last 30 years. It's hard to let go because we know there are challenges to face and the road of life and the road of discipleship isn't always easy.

So witnessing - no, participating in - a baptism is always another case to remember to let go. Let go of what has come before. Let go of our own tightened grip on our lives and our futures. Let go of our ideas and our purposes, and instead take the hand of God as we are led into the ministry that is planned for us.

No comments: