Friday, January 9, 2009

Friday Five

Sophia posted this "light and fluffy" Friday Five at RevGals. I'll play!

1. Scratch or mix? Buttermilk or plain?
I didn't know you could make pancakes with anything but Bisquick until I got married. My husband didn't know what to do with the stuff. Now it's only scratch, but never buttermilk because they're usually a last minute decision, and we just don't keep buttermilk on hand.

2. Pure and simple, or with additions cooked in?
Love the additions when we have 'em. Chocolate chips!

3. For breakfast or for dinner?
Both!

4. Preferred syrup or other topping? How about the best side dish?
I use syrup now, but also LOVE jelly on my plan pancakes. With chocolate chips, though, I don't like a topping (unless it's whipped cream at a restaurant, another thing I don't mess with at home, though). Bacon makes me happy, so if I'm having a "big" breakfast (one that doesn't involve Cheerios or frozen waffles) I'd love bacon. However, I absolutely suck at cooking it, so I usually just reserve it for restaurants, too. If I'm doing pancakes with syrup, I love scrambled eggs, too, because I love it when my eggs get syrup on them!

5. Favorite pancake restaurant?
A local chain joint in the Twin Cities - Key's. They also have the BEST bacon in the world. In fact, I'm going there for lunch, but plan to have an omelet instead of pancakes. An omelet and BACON, of course.

Bonus: Any tasty recipes out there, for pancakes or other special breakfast dishes? Bring 'em on!
Hmmmm...if I were at home I'd get my favorite breakfast casserole recipe, but I'm not. That's my FAVORITE breakfast food of all. A good sausage, egg, cheese, and bread crumb recipe.

4 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

Ah, Key's! I recently went back to City of Lakes to spend Christmas with my kids, and the youngest introduced me to The Bad Waitress for breakfast. I didn't try the pancakes, though.

Silent said...

Our key to making bacon is using a George Foreman. The grease drips off (though you need to keep an eye on the tray so it doesn't overflow) plus the bacon stays flat and cooks evenly. And you don't get the "smoky I cooked bacon" fog that stays in your kitchen for days!

Sophia said...

I've got to try these breakfast casseroles I keep reading about--they sound great. Maybe not a west coast thing?

1-4 Grace said...

yes. eggs with pancakes and syrup all over. Yummy!
Buttermilk panckaes are good, but I dont keep it on hand either