Friday, January 2, 2009

Friday Five

December didn't feel incredibly busy when I looked at my calendar, but somehow it just ended up being that way. My blog was sadly neglected and I felt different because of it - - like I was gone from a special community. Hopefull, I will learn to carve time out better for the blog and, therefore, the RevGals as this year gets going.

Here's my first Friday Five in too long:
"As we look back we may come to understand how God has worked in and through us in joy and saddness. how we have grown against what may seem impossible odds. As we look forward we may do so with expectation, and we may do so with fear and trembling. As we look back and forward in New Years liminality I offer you this simple yet I hope profound Friday Fivein two parts:

First list five things that you remember/ treasure from 2008

Then list five things that you are looking forward to in 2009"

2008
1. Being a driving force in getting our session committed to helping a homeless single mom on her feet. There's the busy December. We got her out of the shelter, into a rented home, a donated car with repairs, new tags, insurance, on the road to getting her GED with test registration, study materials, and tutors, and now we're working on financial management and planning. It's just one mom and 3 girls in a sea of people in the same situation, but we're doing what we can. It made 2008 ROCK there at the end.

2. Simple, but oh so wonderful in my family life - - getting the 3 year old potty-trained!

3. My first year as a solo pastor.

4. The sense of fulfillment of my call (not complete, but at least for now) in ministering to a member, her family, and much of the community as a whole when she was diagnosed with, treated for, and eventually died from leukemia, all from January-May.

5. Feeling my family gel as we made our first move away from where my husband and I met and married.


2009
1. The next ages and stages of my kids (girl turns 4 in May, boy turns 2 in June) - not to hurry them along, but just to see what comes next.

2. 10 year college reunion

3. Seeing where we are led next as a congregation.

4. Picking up my story-telling of Scripture in worship again. I learned it and tried it at the end of the summer/beginning of fall, but then just fell out of the practice. I loved it, but it required more time and different energy that I didn't think I could give. I miss it already, though, so I'm going to have to try to figure out how to fit that back in.

5. Deepening life of prayer.

3 comments:

Sally said...

prayers for # 4 this coming year, and thanks for playing.

RevAnne said...

Prayers and blessings for the coming year.
I'm curious: where/how did you learn storytelling? It's something I'm experimenting with, but apart from several long talks with Michael Williams, I've not really learned anything...

Rev Honey said...

Prayers for you, especially for # 4 and #5. God bless you on your journey this year+