Friday, July 11, 2008

Friday Five

Mother Laura at RevGals asks:
In celebration of summer, please share your own memories and preferences about camp.

1. Did you go to sleep away camp, or day camp, as a child? Wish you could? Or sometimes wish you hadn't?
I did both with no regrets. Day camp when I was under 7, but after that I went to Girl Scout camp every year until maybe the summer before 9th grade.

2. How about camping out? Dream vacation, nightmare, or somewhere in between?
We didn't really do this much growing up. I've seen pictures of my family (me included) camping in Italy when we lived in Germany when I was a toddler, but it must have been my father's idea because you can bet we never did it again with my mother after they got divorced! I loved the tent camping canoe trips we took when I was at Girl Scout camp though. I'm fired up to do it with my kids when they're old enough some day. EconoMan and LadyPrincess slept in the tent one night last week. It was so cute, and I was highly impressed she lasted the whole night. She's just 3.


3. Have you ever worked as a camp counselor, or been to a camp for your denomination for either work or pleasure?
The summer before my senior year I finally worked as a camp counselor. I checked it off my "List of things to do before I die." (That's really the title I put on it in the 8th grade, way pre-Bucket List.) It was a camp from my denomination, and it's where I really started to possibly get the idea that I might be called to ministry. It's where someone, for the first time, actually said that maybe I should consider. I don't think I had consciously before that.

4. Most dramatic memory of camp, or camping out?
I remember my first trip as the main leader and lifeguard on an "out trip" with middle schoolers. I was 21 which made me the main leader of a 3 night canoe trip. I however had ZERO experience at REAL camping, like on the side of the river, no state-park-potties, pitch a tent, and cook everything camping. Oh. And no cell phone. I had been on one training trip, but had not really thought that I would need to pay attention. When they told me I was leading the trip I asked "What if someone breaks a leg or something?!?!?!" The director told me, "That's why you had a week of training. Remember that day of wilderness first aid?" Holy cow. Who knew I'd really need that? I didn't sleep the whole trip because my real fear was actually "What if one of these kids dies? How the hell are we going to get them out of here?" (The trip went fine, and I led 3 more all summer. Loved it!)

5. What is your favorite camp song or songs? Bonus points if you link to a recording or video.
Actually, Camp Mah Kah Wee is where I was introduced the Indigo Girls before any of us knew who they were or who they would become. I mean, it was pre-Strange Fire when I started going, and started learning the songs. We would sing their songs around the campfire, and it wasn't until post-Closer to Fine that I even realized these weren't just songs that my counselors made up. "Closer to Fine" is definitely one of my favorite campfire song memories.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

excellent video - thanks! I saw them in college. love that song.