Monday, June 30, 2008

Very Late Friday Five (but I really wanted to play!)

Songbird writes:

Back in the day, before I went to seminary, I worked in the Children's Room at the Public Library, and every year we geared up for Summer Reading. Children would come in and record the books read over the summer, and the season included numerous special and celebratory events. As a lifelong book lover and enthusiastic summer reader, I find I still accumulate a pile of books for the summer.

This week, then, a Summer Reading Friday Five.

1) Do you think of summer as a particularly good season for reading? Why or why not?
I did more before kids. Summer tended to be slower so there was more time for reading. TV, which is often too big of temptation and enjoyment for me, is in re-runs so evenings are free-er. That said a good book, curled up with a warm quilt on a cold winter night is divine also.

2) Have you ever fallen asleep reading on the beach?
Every time I read on the beach I fall asleep. I don't know how not to. The sound of the waves, the need for sunglasses, the book. It's a recipe for a nap in my opinion.

3) Can you recall a favorite childhood book read in the summertime?
I don't think I can pick a summertime read over any other time reads from my childhood. I read like CRAZY as a kid - - literally 8-10 books at a time on my nightstand, and they were usually all read within a week. In 2nd or 3rd grade I was really into the Secret Seven, a kids' mystery/detective-type series by British author Enid Blyton. They must have been summer reads because I got them at the public library and that was the only time we went to the public library since our school library was FANTASTIC.

4) Do you have a favorite genre for light or relaxing reading?
A guilty pleasure are the QUICK James Patterson "Alex Cross" mysteries. Gosh I haven't read one in YEARS, but they are fun. I really tend to be drawn to family sagas or dramas - the Anita Shreve or Jodi Piccoult books or (in earlier years) Maeve Binchy or Rosamund Pilcher.

5) What is the next book on your reading list?
Hmmm - - our church book group is discussing A Prayer for Owen Meany in September. I guess I better re-read that. I can't remember if I ever finished it the first time through, but it's been so long. That aside, since it's kind of for work, the next book I'd like to get off the shelf and actually read is one I've started a little bit called The Birth House. It's been good, but I need to just turn off the TV and go for it one of these nights.

No comments: