Saturday, June 7, 2008

Friday Five on Saturday - Yes I'm procrastinating

Sally at RevGals writes:
This week I took some time out to stop and walk and take in the view; my son Chris is studying in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, too often we simply drive up there, turn around and come home! This time Tim and I took time out to take in the view. It occurs to me that we need to do that more in life....

With that in mind I offer you this weeks Friday Five:

1. How important is the "big picture" to you, do you need a glimpse of the possibilities or are you a details person?
I love starting with the big picture and I try to stick to it, but I can get easily caught up in fun details. I guess I'm thinking of the creative process and planning situations. Whether it's sermon preparation or creative worship or even a fun project with my daughter or around the house, I start working on the big picture, but then get side-tracked with a detail here or there that intrigues me. I don't know that I qualify as a details person though, because I don't take care of all the details. In fact, it's easy for me to miss quite a few of them. I'm just an easily distracted person, so I love one or two particular details, not necessarily all of them.


2. If the big picture is important to you how do you hold onto it in the nitty gritty details of life?
I just have to keep coming back to it. It's something I've probably "trained" myself to do through sermon writing and lesson planning. I have learned to set a particular focus or goal for what I am working on. I have to set that first and it's usually the step that takes me the longest. Then as I start to get distracted by my fun detail stuff, I have to ask myself, "Is this serving my focus or goal?" I mean, I have to do this when I'm cleaning the house or I'll get distracted looking at old pictures. It's a problem!


3. Name a book, poem, psalm, piece of music that transports to to another dimension ( one....what am I thinking....)
Music - - Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet Overture. I've performed it a couple of times in orchestras and nothing else has ever done the same thing to me. Can't describe it.


4.Thinking of physical views, is there somewhere that inspires you, somewhere that you breathe more easily?
I never knew where "home" was for me until I moved to the Midwest. I grew up in Florida, college in Virginia, seminary in Georgia. I liked Virginia and Georgia OK, but I was never a fan of Florida. I took my first call in Nebraska and knew when I got there that I was home like I had never known before. It got even better when I went with my future husband to the farm where he grew up. They have this one gorgeous huge east facing picture window in the modest ranch style home on the property. The sofa-bed I slept on looks out this window and NOTHING makes me happier than to occupy that bed so I can see the sunrise over the cornfield and cow pastures. It rocks my world! I love my new home in the upper midwest now, too. All the rhythms of farming areas with hills and trees, too! It's awesome!

5. A picture opportunity... post one if you can ( or a link to one!)
I wish I had a picture of waking up looking out that window, but I don't even know that I've tried. I think a picture would ruin my memory. However, here is a picture my husband took at sunset once. I can't find the original right now to get it at a good size, so it's tiny. If I can find the big one on another computer, I'll swap it out. Similar effect!

4 comments:

RevAnne said...

Great play, fellow procrastinator!
Love the image of the big picture window!
Where in VA did you go to college? I'm a W&M grad, myself.

Singing Owl said...

I stopped by to say hi and because I am procrastinating too. Loved the answer to #4. Okay, it is late and I must get something on paper before tomorrow.

RevAnne said...

Class of '94, myself.
Hope you got some rest last night.

bythesea said...

Hi SheRev. I just saw your revgal post about procrastinating last night by doing your Friday Five. Just wanted you to know that at about the time you were doing Friday Five I was signing up on Facebook of all things. So you weren't alone in procrastination mode.